Industry Relations Officer
Barrick – North Mara Gold Mine LTD
The North Mara gold mine is located in north-west Tanzania in the Tarime district of the Mara region.
North Mara Gold Mine Limited is seeking to recruit Industrial Relation Officer to join and grow their team. You will be expected to align to the Barrick DNA and to operate within our mining assets with our best people teams . You will contribute in a safe and cost-effective manner to achieve targets in accordance with Mine Safety Standards, Policies and Procedures and ensure daily targets are met.
- To advise the Company on all legal matters and particularly those which are labor in nature.
- Coordinate management effort and Strategies in resolving imminent industrial disputes or any industrial disputes as they may arise.
- Implement and improve HR Policies and practices in relations with the laws of the country
- Provide expert and specialist advice to management on HR and ER and regulatory compliance
- Ensure that the company is always well represented at relevant forums, e.g. CMA and Labor Court.
- Represent the company in dispute resolution processes including mediation, arbitration and negotiation
- Undertake legal analysis and risk evaluation of potential disputes and disputes that are declared to determine the appropriate management strategy
- Advises and trains managers and supervisors in best employee relations practices and strategies for managing supervisor problems and employee grievances.
- Develops further training as needed.
- Provide training to Managers on IR Procedures including how to manage grievances and misconduct, dispute resolution, chairing of disciplinary processes and giving evidence at CMA.
- Represents organization in negotiations, meetings, and negotiations with employee and labor organizations.
- Collaborates with leadership on matters of policy and terms of memorandum of understanding before and throughout negotiation process.
- Advise senior management on complex Employee Relations matters and on the appropriate approach to effectively dealing with instances of labor unrest.
- Investigate employees’ problems and disciplinary issues
- Maintain accurate records on IR matters and submit high quality reports as required to management and other governance structures.
- Participate in various programs as identified in the HR strategic plans such as In reach Program
- Establish and maintain sound relations with trade union.
- Perform all other HR and IR duties as assigned time to time by HR Superintendent-IR .
- Bachelor’s degree in either Employee Relations , Law, HR or related discipline.
Experience And Competencies Needed
- Minimum 2 years working experience in a similar role.
- Experience working in Mining Industry is an added advantage.
- Ability to maintain Confidentiality
- Decisiveness, Resilience and Resourcefulness.
- A working knowledge on Tanzania Labour Laws
- Results oriented
- Attention to detail
- Excellent Communication – both oral and written
- Strong Negotiation Skills
What We Can Offer You
- A comprehensive compensation package including bonuses and site-specific benefits
- The ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- Opportunities to grow and learn with the industry colleagues are endless
- Access to a variety of career opportunities across the organization
Our mission is to be the world’s most valued gold and copper mining business. We are committed to partnering with our host countries and communities to transform their natural resources into tangible benefits and mutual prosperity.
With operating mines and projects in 18 countries, Barrick’s highly diversified workforce is drawn almost entirely from our host nations and equipped with world-class skills. We set the gold standard in sustainability by embedding environmental, social and economic considerations into all of our business decisions.
The company’s shares trade on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol GOLD and on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol ABX. Learn more at www.barrick.com or follow us on LinkedIn .
The North Mara gold mine is located in north-west Tanzania in the Tarime district of the Mara region. It is around 100 kilometres east of Lake Victoria and 20 kilometres south of the Kenyan border.
North Mara started commercial production in 2002. The mine is a combined open pit and underground operation from two deposits, Gokona (underground) and Nyabirama (open pit). The process plant has the capacity to process an average of 8,000 tonnes of ore per day.