Dar es Salaam
The University of California San Francisco in Dar es Salaam
JOB OPPORTUNITY – DATA ANALYST
Location : Dar es Salaam
Application deadline : August 19,2022
Start date : October 1,2022
The University of California San Francisco (UCSF) is engaged in a five-year Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-Tanzania (CDC-Tanzania) to provide strategic information, with a focus on improving data quality, and health information systems (HIS) technical assistance to the Ministry of Health (MOH) as well as the United States’ President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and their implementing partners (IPs).
UCSF is recruiting an individual through our affiliated international NGO Global Programs to serve as a Data Analyst. This is a full-time 12-month position with the possibility of extension for another 12 months subject to continued funding. The position is expected to start on October 1st, 2022 and will be based in Dar es Salaam.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Under the supervision of the Data Quality Technical Lead, the Data Analyst will be responsible for planning and executing the analysis of various quantitative data sets related to HIV and AIDS services and HIV surveillance.
- The selected candidate will be expected to utilize technical expertise to ensure data are accurate and high-quality, well organized, and to plan and carry out analyses that support program objectives.
- The types of data that may be included in the analysis are: CTC2/3, DHIS2, CQI indicators, evaluation data, MER indicators, and data generated from respondent-driven sampling surveys.
- The selected candidate will also contribute to the presentation and visualization of data to ensure effective communication of key messages and inform decision-making among key stakeholders.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Plan appropriate analyses to answer programmatic and stakeholder questions.
- Use statistical tools to identify, analyze, and interpret patterns and trends in datasets that could be helpful for program monitoring and decision making.
- Prepare analysis reports for stakeholders to understand the analytic methods used and guide the interpretation of the findings, enabling them to make evidence-based decisions.
- Support implementing partners on the implementation of routine data quality activities and remediation of data quality challenges.
- Support cleaning and analysis of data generated by respondent driven sampling surveillance activities and a PMTCT cascade evaluation.
- Support analysis of HIV recent infection surveillance data.
- Support triangulation of HIV program data across various sources, including CTC3, monthly portal, and DHIS2.
Experience, skills, and minimum required qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree in statistics, mathematics, epidemiology, or a related field is required. A
Master’s degree in Biostatistics, Public Health, or Epidemiology is a strong advantage.
- Strong mathematical skills to collect, measure, organize, and analyze quantitative data is required.
- Demonstrable data analysis skills including proficiency in statistics and statistical packages like STATA, SPSS, SAS, etc. is required. Experience using RDS-A analysis software is a strong advantage.
- Minimum of five years of progressive professional experience in public health working in analytics-focused positions is required.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel is required.
- Knowledge of both PEPFAR and MOH reporting tools and systems (including DATIM, CTC2, DHIS2, Monthly Portal), and HIV and AIDS indicators is required.
- Demonstrable experience working with a variety of organizations and stakeholders, including experience collaborating with MOH, is an advantage.
- Fluency in oral and written English and Kiswahili are required.
Other desired skills/qualities:
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, excellent communication and presentation skills, and decision-making skills.
- Ability for critical thinking and creativity.
- Ability to prioritize, work under deadlines, work with minimal supervision, and multi-task.
- Ability to summarize disparate information in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including word processing and powerpoint.
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed in the minimum requirements above with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
All applications must include the following:
A current CV with names and telephone numbers for at least 2 referees, one of which is from your current employer.
Copies of academic and professional certificates
Applications and supporting documents should be sent via e-mail to email@example.com and must be received by August 19,2022.
NOTE: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.