Job role: Community Forester
The New Forests Company is a sustainable forestry company with operations in Tanzania and Uganda, as well as a Group office in Johannesburg, South Africa. Our mission is to be an integrated forest and land management company, managing for multiple natural capital values including protection of conservation areas, support for out-grower farmers and surrounding communities. Underpinning our model with anchor investments in responsibly managed plantation forests and sustainable forest products manufacturing. See more at www.newforests.earth
Purpose of the position:
Contribute to the realization of NFC’s Shared Value strategy by:
- Provide commercial-level Forestry planning, training, co-ordination, and management of the CSR led community forestry program in close collaboration with the Community
- Development Officers (CDOs) responsible for each plantation/pole plant
- Establish quality forestry (and agroforestry) practices with high survival rates amongst Out-grower trees to maximize their revenues and secure NFC long term timber supply chain
- Accurate and timely data capture and reporting of community forestry program
- Community Forester at The New Forest Company
Key Result Areas and accountabilities:
- Sourcing high quality seedling inputs for the Out-grower program, in co ordination with the CSR team regarding species preferences
- Lead and train the CSR CDOs and Community Liaison Officers (CLOs) in accurate GPS mapping and forestry data collection to ensure accurate data is inputted into the Micro- Forest app.
- Lead the silviculture practices of the Out-grower program, including planning, spacing, land preparation, trainings, seedling distribution, post planting verification, enumeration, thinning and harvesting.
- The community trained practices are to be compliant with FSC, for ease of future group scheme certification
- Be proactive in supporting the CSR team and Community Tree grower Associations with resolving planting or tree related challenges
- Co-ordinate visits to NFC plantations, research trials and processing facilities as part of the community knowledge building
- Ensure all relevant NFC IMS procedures and prescriptions are followed 8. Co-ordinate with NFC Forestry department regarding NFC quality standards, to ensure mature Out-grower timber complies with NFC sourcing criteria
- Incorporate agroforestry, fruit trees, inter-cropping, and other climate smart best practices in the Out-grower program to help maximize their land use potential and build climate resilience.
- Develop and/or update silviculture, agroforestry, and risk management training cards to support effective knowledge transfer to communities
- Health and safety issues and problems are effectively investigated, managed, and reported on. A positive attitude towards health and safety is developed, managed, and maintained across all areas.
- An environment of continuous, but appropriate, health and safety improvement are developed. Activities are coordinated with other functions and departments and are undertaken in a collegiate manner.
- New and improved methods or initiatives are evaluated, documented, costed, recommended and, where authorized, implemented.
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Skills, Knowledge & Competencies required to perform this role:
- Demonstrate knowledge of commercial level forestry
- Experience in or willingness to learn and apply agroforestry practices 3. Demonstrable experience with and interest in working with Communities
- Ability to follow standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Respect NFC’s safety rules and other policies
- Good communication skills – verbal and written
- Ability to plan all activities, and execute the operations
- Ability to produce timely reports in agreed format
- Demonstrable ability to work with mobile software apps, such as Smallholdr, Katam and others
- A relevant degree in Forestry
- Years of experience required to perform this role
- At least 3 years’ work relevant experience
Desired Start Date: 02nd January 2023
How to apply
If you are interested, please send you application letter & CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com not later than 30th November 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
“NFC is an equal opportunity employer and women are encouraged to apply”