Community Development Officer – Agronomy
Barrick – North Mara Gold Mine LTD
The North Mara gold mine is located in north-west Tanzania in the Tarime district of the Mara region.
North Mara Gold Mine Limited is seeking to recruit Community development Officer (Agronomy) to join and grow their team. You will be expected to align to the Barrick DNA and to operate within our mining assets with our best people teams . You will contribute in a safe and cost-effective manner to achieve targets in accordance with Mine Safety Standards, Policies and Procedures and ensure daily targets are met.
- Strongly drive progress in agribusiness projects through maintaining track record of the pre-set KPIs.
- Keeping up to date on current best practices in the agronomy field and their applications.
- Introduce and mobilize farmers through their local groups, Farmer Based Organizations and local government leaders.
- Set up and monitor demonstration sites to provide hard evidence for the success of the concepts promoted.
- Provide technical support on best agricultural practices to producer groups and their organizations.
- Evaluate crop performance as affected by weather, diseases, pests and management practices and provide solutions on spot.
- Conduct regular farmers’ school/ and field day sessions with existing and potential farmers or groups.
- Conduct training to Village Agro-Technicians on various agronomic issues such as installation and maintenance of irrigation equipment, greenhouses, crop production and climate smart agriculture.
- Provide market-based solution to farmers including crop selection, production schedules and the concept of collective procurement and marketing in response to market needs.
- Mobilize the formation, capacity building and formalization of specialized producer groups and other Farmer Based Organizations.
- Consult with producer groups on existing potentials to increase their economic return from a range of selected high value crops and in collaboration with private sector partners, through “out-grower schemes” or contract farming.
- Work closely with other CR department sections in designing and implementing strategies for scaling of successful interventions in agribusiness.
- Prepare and submit monthly activity plans and reports in a timely manner.
Collect both results and performance-based data and submit them via digital channels on regular basis.
- Maintain good collaboration with stakeholders as well as local communities, authorities, relevant government departments and within Barrick.
- Travel to attend meetings, learning and training activities and be involved in building needed networks for performance improvement.
- Undergraduate Degree in Agronomy, Agriculture, Horticulture or related field.
- A Master’s degree will be an added advantage.
Experience And Competencies Needed
- More than 2 years’ experience in the agricultural sector especially management of horticultural crops or horticultural production.
- Experience in management of medium and large-scale drip irrigation technologies is necessary.
- Solid understanding of commercial production.
- Experience working with youths and youth groups will be an added advantage.
- Good general understanding of the horticultural sub-sector is important.
- Experience in farm management in reputable agribusinesses or institutions will also be an added advantage.
- Experience in the area of organizational capacity building of community-based groups or institutions.
- Demonstrable experience of participatory development and stakeholder engagement approaches.
What We Can Offer You
- A comprehensive compensation package including bonuses and site-specific benefits.
- The ability to make a difference and lasting impact.
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team.
- Opportunities to grow and learn with the industry colleagues are endless .
- Access to a variety of career opportunities across the organization .